Shampoo Bars: The New Way to Wash Your Hair
Whether you use a basic drugstore shampoo or a higher-end shampoo, the goal is the same: to cleanse your scalp, and make your hair clean and shiny. But did you know that most shampoos are also full of additives that can be harmful to your health and the planet?
Thankfully, there’s a cost-effective and natural alternative to traditional shampoos and conditioners—shampoo bars.
What is a Shampoo Bar?
In recent years, shampoo bars have become a new trend in the bath and beauty world. Shampoo bars, also known as hair bars, are a solid alternative to liquid shampoo. In the most basic of terms, it’s the shampoo version of liquid hand soap and bar hand soap. Shampoo bars are also compact and more concentrated than liquid shampoo.
There are three main types of shampoo bar formulations available today: cold-pressed bars made from a fat and an alkali, surfactant bars that contain deep cleansing ingredients, and glycerin-based bars for ultimate hydration.
Benefits of Shampoo Bars
Whether you’re a keen environmentalist, have skin sensitivities that require you to use natural products, or are simply on a budget, shampoo bars always come out on top. The main benefits of shampoo bars include:
- Sulphate-Free. The main types of sulphates found in liquid shampoos are sodium lauryl sulphate and sodium laureth sulphate. These are extremely strong cleansing agents that can cause skin irritation and hair frizz.
- Paraben-Free. These are added to liquid shampoos to prevent mould, but they have also been shown to be a dermal irritant and many people are avoiding parabens for other reasons as well.
- Synthetic Fragrance-Free. A common ingredient in many bath and beauty products that triggers sensitivities and allergies.
- Phthalate-Free. A common ingredient in fragrances and products that has been linked to damage to the liver, lungs, and kidney.
- Microbead-Free. Many shampoos contain plastics. These end up in our soils and oceans, where they are eaten by animals (and people) and do not decompose.
- Long-Lasting. Though they’re small in size, they’re mighty. Most shampoo bars will last you between 60 and 90 washes.
When looking for a shampoo bar in Canada, make sure you read the ingredients—some companies unfortunately continue to use harmful ingredients in their bars.
How to Use Shampoo Bars
To get the most out of a shampoo bar, use the following steps:
- Thoroughly wet down your hair.
- Put the shampoo bar under water and lather it in your hands or directly on your scalp.
- Once you have enough of a lather, put the bar away and massage the product into your scalp as you would with a liquid shampoo.
- Proceed as usual with your conditioner (or conditioner bar!)
After getting out of the shower, it’s recommended that you gently dry the bar with a towel. This will prevent it from disintegrating, allowing you to get the maximum washes out of it.
For the Best Shampoo Bars in Canada, Try Bubbles & Balms!
Not only are the shampoo bars from Bubbles & Balms completely natural (making them great for people with sensitivities) but they are packed full of decadent essential oils for aromatherapy benefits too.
Our products are cruelty-free, vegan-friendly, gluten-free, and zero waste. Thanks to our money-back guarantee, you have nothing to lose. Try one of our luscious shampoo bars today!